Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dear Anakara

In a land where men
destroy everything
lovable about them
you flash your green card
as we compare crooked teeth.
My mouth aches down to
a crease in the corner
you discovered
and adore inexhaustibly.

Foreign man from an ancient,
crescent land your
young naive smile
betrays it's hopeless dreams.
My eyes, heavy burdens,
wander to the bare wall -
complete negative space.

You have the key to
keep me in
but I can jump
any gate.

Your young naive smile
and soft expressive
amber eyes,
your absolute trust
in my bare body
horrifies me.

I am a pale flame, flickering
and then smoldered by the
mist of a sobering
dampened dawn.
Here in this stark room
of cheap cologne and dial soap
and your scattered life of plastic wraps
I am unbearably sick with disconnect.

I turn and lay throbbing
head and hollow heart
next to your dead weight
in a dead affair.
I just lay there and stare
out the window where the
neighbor is watering weeds
alone.

I am crawling out of
my languid, listless skin
these strangers have fouled
their way in
and I have never
felt more desolate.

Dear Anakara,
you are in the wrong country
for such hopeless, half-lit dreams
and I'm just too goddamn American.

No comments: